Sunday, 21 April 2013

The beginning

I started this blog back in December of last year with the intention of using it to chronolog my writing endeavors. The idea was that this "journal" of sorts would allow me to write something, anything, even if it was just the reasons why I wasn't writing anything else.

Needless to say, I didn't write anything. Nothing at all. Nil. Nada. Zip. Zero.

I've been up, I've been down. I've suffered severe bouts of insecurity regarding my current project and conversly I've had moments of pure clarity where everything seemed just right. It's really all very frustrating. Several months on and sadly nothing more has really been added to the project. However I'm a little further into the overall development process, something I foolishly thought was over, and I'm ready to get into the writing proper. 

Kin is a fantasy novel that sprouted its first green shoots of growth during the middle of October 2011. Although I had always wanted to pen a fantasy story Kin was created primarily as a project to be used for NaNoWriMo, the yearly novel writing extravaganza. NaNoWriMo promotes creativity through blatant disregard for planning or structured thought processes; the very idea of such a thing would have me running for the hills! In 2011 I was a NaNoWriMo winner, I had 50,000 words under my belt and a more-or-less completed first draft of a novel. Over a year later and Kin was nothing more than a discarded mess of first draft scribblings and whole pile of (barely) edited notes.

Untill now.

Now, for the first time in a very long time, I actually feel as if it might work. I have a solid story, I have some reasonably interesting characters (they're still growing) and I know where it's all going, where it will culminate. Every issue that I find with the structure is easily explained or solved and I'm finding more and more solutions than before. Why, in the last few days I solved between 3 and 4 problems that had been bothering me for ages with a few simple ideas that actually served to benefit the story further. Brilliant! All it needs now is someone to write it.

So here's to Kin, the story that will finally pull me from the gutter of despair and self loathing. Onwards to productivity!

I'll keep you posted,
PF

No comments:

Post a Comment