Sunday, 12 January 2014

Monday blog: Start something

Let's talk about New Year's resolutions.

Now, you may be wondering why I have allowed this particular subject to remain in a state of non-discussion until approximately the middle of January when it is, by its very nature, an activity for the year's start. Well there's a very good reason for that.

I'm lazy. No, seriously; that's it.

So what exactly is a resolution? Typically to resolve something is to find an answer, to generate a solution. As far as chronology goes the resolution usually comes in at the end, marking the finality of a particular period or problem. So I ask you this: why should we focus on the end when the year is but beginning?

I propose a title far more suited to the season, a moniker for the very ages. I call upon you now, embark with me as we begin our New Year's REVOLUTION!

(I'm almost 32% certain that's never been used as a patronising motivational tag line before.)

Ah, Revolution, the very antithesis of the resolution. It is the beginning of something new, a change in course, a rebellious movement which seeks to overthrow the common establishment and cast out complacency. This is more akin to my true goals. So what of my specific aims?

  1. Write more - Maintain a routine. Write every day without fail. No excuses.
  2. Read more - Read every day. Target of at least one book per month.
  3. Worry less - Focus on writing and forget editing. Re-establish the NaNoWriMo mindset.

In part response to no. 1, Monday is now blog day! Yes, that's right. Every Monday I will compose a new blog post right here. It's just another way of writing regularly and keeping to a schedule. I may feel the need to elaborate on each point in future posts.

The book for this month is Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. Although I am enjoying the book so far, please let it be known that I do not personally share the author's somewhat outspoken personal views regarding gay marriage.
 
Albert Einstein once defined insanity as: "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." I have been trying to adequately achieve each of the goals for the past few years and still the same tired resolutions are made for the following year. Am I then insane? No, instead I shall begin my revolution and I shall meet the resolution when the proper time comes.

This is Frisk, 
signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment